Introduction

The 57 acres that comprise Cedar Ridge Farm are located in the beautiful rolling hills of South Central Kentucky. My wife, our four children, and I are on a homesteading adventure as we work toward increased self-sufficiency. We grow much of our own food and enjoy being in touch with the agrarian roots of our lives.

One of the major projects we have undertaken is the building of our own home. The house we're building has three major distinguishing features: 1. we're building it without incurring any debt; 2. it is a timber frame structure; and 3. the exterior walls will be plastered straw bales. We live debt and mortgage free, and building our house with that approach makes perfect sense. Large timbers in a home possess a beauty and project a sense of strength, stability, and warmth that we want in our home. Straw bale walls provide insulation and make ecological sense. This blog is a record of our home-building project.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Three sheets

The weather today was much nicer than the preceding days. It was cooler (mid-80s), and the humidity was lower. There were severalpurlins on the back porch times I just had to stand still and enjoy how refreshing the breeze felt.

Dad and Danny helped this morning. Dad and I nailed on purlins while Danny cut the individual boards to length and handed them up to us. We were able to finish the east side, get all of the purlins on the back, and start the west side before lunch.

After lunch, Danny had some other work to attend to. So, Dad and I worked on finishing the purlins on the west side. We got them all nailed on without any problems.west side of the house

Then, we laid out three sheets of metal on the front to figure out how they fit under the existing roof metal. We’re able to slide them up under alright, but we’ll need to cut off about 3 inches from the sheets on the front in order to make sure that the amount the metal overhangs is not too much. The metal can’t be slid up under the other metal far enough because of the rafters on the house (they butt up against these). The first of the porch roofI don’t need or want 4 inches of metal overhanging the edge. The goal is 1.5 inches, an appropriate amount for the gutters that I will eventually install around the porch.

After figuring out the front, we moved the sheets of metal to the east side to see how they lined up. They were fine. So, since we had them up there already, I went ahead and screwed them to the purlins. If we have no problems, it won’t be too difficult to get the rest of the roofing metal installed early next week.

 

3 comments:

Bob said...

Looks nice! It reminds me of when I built my cabin, just wish I would have done in Kentucky. Wish you the best of luck and hopefully a soon to be completed project.

Tobster54 said...

Found your blog about 3 weeks ago from a post on Homesteading Today ( Extreme composting ) where the author mentioned your 2 blogs. I appreciate your reporting, this is proving to be a wonderful journal of your efforts. When the dust settles, I hope you get to work on the DVD. The photos are great and add much to the telling of the story. I liked the photos / video and details of the sawmill and how you and your dad have harvested the timber for your home. All the best, Gary.

~mc~ said...

Please excise the digression, but I was not able to find where to send you a private message.

I found your blogs by searching for "Church of God" and "Holy Days" homesteaders ... and was thrilled to find you.

I am also a Sabbath keeper, and observe God's Holy Days.

To add to the wonderful surprise, my very good friends, Forerunner and Lori, are also linked to you somehow.

Wow. What a double blessing :)